Sunday, December 26, 2010

Sighthound Holiday Wallhanging

I never found time to post my decorations before Christmas, so I'm sharing a few of my favorites on this Sighthound Sunday. The snow is falling and the strong winds are making blizzard conditions outside. It is the perfect day for snuggling inside with my husband, our sighthound pack, with many glowing christmas lights, enjoying a relaxing day.

This little wallhanging was purchased some years ago from the Biggy Iggy Auction. I believe, if my memory is correct, the artist who donated this work was named Margaret Allison. Her son designed the IG silhouette. I also purchased a spring wallhanging with the same IG, and 3D flowers. Both are a treasuried part of my sighthound collection.

For a little more than a year, I have been collecting old cylinder candles, sometimes called sugar candles. In the mid to late 70's, when I was in school, we sold these as fundraisers. Making my usually thrift/consignment shop rounds, I found 3 of these candles for under a dollar each. I came home, did a little online research and discovered what a great deal I had stumbled upon. I was surprised at the prices on Ebay, especially for the religious themed and pretty landscape designs. I never finished decorating the garland or the greyhound statues (another greyt bargain), but I still enjoyed the candles nestled between the dogs. I hope you do too. I hope they inspire you in some way.


Sugar Candle Collection 2010

2 comments:

Art and Sew Forth said...

I also had many of these candles in the 70's. I would buy them for my mom and especially loved the Christmas ones. I think someone in the family still has some of them. Yours look beautiful!

Art and Sew Forth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.